Locked in by mountains whose forests make their way down to the shore, Lake Lugano prides itself on its natural landscape. Don’t miss the daily cruises and excursions.
The beautiful vistas of Lake Lugano served as a source of inspiration for 18th century Grand Tour travelers. The first steamer to offer an excursion of the lake was the “Ticino” in 1848. Today, a fleet of modern vessels offer a wide choice of cruises plus the option of accessing the region’s main attractions by lake including Gandria, Morcote, Swissminiatur and the departure station of the San Salvatore funicular railway. Lake Lugano has a surface of 50 square kilometers of which 63% are located in Switzerland and the remaining 37% in Italy. Its shore is not entirely accessible by car and, for centuries, some villages, like the picturesque Gandria and Morcote, could only be accessed via the lake.
CRUISE ON LAKE LUGANO AND EXCURSIONS
To enjoy the best of Ceresio you can tap into the vast offer of the Società Navigazione del Lago di Lugano (Navigation Society of Lake Lugano). Every day, visitors can choose from among countless excursions ranging from the “morning cruise” to the “panoramic cruise” in the afternoon, both lasting approximately 3 hours and covering the main points on the lake; from the “lunch-boat cruise” offering delectable on-board dining on the lake right up to the “night cruise” providing remarkable views of the landscape by night. The boat cruise can also be combined with several walks including the Sentiero di Gandria (Gandria Trail), the itinerary of the Caprino cellars, the walks around Monte Caslano or descents from San Salvatore towards Carona and Morcote. A boat excursion can also be combined with a visit of the picturesque village of Morcote, Swissminiatur in Melide or the Museum of Cultures hosted at Villa Heleneum.